Do you love science, innovation and entrepreneurship? Did you build your first robot at the age of twelve? Are you dreaming of having your own startup? We train those who will fulfill the professions of the future. That’s why our programs blend fundamental scientific knowledge with the latest R&D and new convergent fields. With hands-on experience, practice-oriented training and mentorship by leading international experts in your field, you will be well-equipped to meet tomorrow’s challenges.

We offer 44 Bachelor’s degree programs at 5 academic Schools.

As of now, all ITMO University Bachelor’s programs are taught in Russian (with a range of English-taught courses included in the curriculum), so knowing Russian is one of our admission requirements. If you're interested in improving your Russian language skills, ITMO University offers a special Foundation Program. This intensive 9-month Russian course aims to equip you with all the skills needed for studying at a Russian university, also providing you with additional training in the study subjects (options include maths, physics, IT, chemistry, and social studies) ITMO holds admission tests in.

Check out our top areas of expertise, including: IT & Programming, Computer Technologies, Photonics, Food Processing, and Innovations. Prepare for lift-off, and launch into the future!

Bachelor’s Degree Programs Application Guide

Choose Your Program

ITMO University offers 44 innovative Bachelor’s programs in a wide range of contemporary scientific research fields. You can find the full list of programs here.

Check the Application Deadlines

Admission to regular tuition-free positions of ITMO University's Bachelor's programs for the 2019-2020 academic year starts on June 20 and concludes:

  • for prospective students applying on the basis of ITMO's own entrance examinations: on July 10 (18:00 MSK);
  • for prospective students applying on the basis of the Unified State Exams: on July 26 (18:00 MSK).

Admission to fee-based positions starts on June 20 and concludes on August 20.

Brush Up on Your Russian Language Skills

Currently, all ITMO University Bachelor’s programs are taught in Russian, so you may want to improve on your Russian language skills. ITMO University offers a special Foundation Program, which is an intensive 9-month Russian course aimed at equipping international students with all the skills needed for studying at a Russian university. Program graduates receive certificates required for entering ITMO University or other Russian higher education institutions.

Prepare Your Documents and Submit Your Application

Please follow this link to complete and send in the application form.

When completing your application, please use your official name as indicated in your ID.

You will need to submit the following documents as part of your application:

1. General documents

  • Application form (submitted online)
  • A copy and a notarized Russian translation of national ID (passport) used for traveling to Russia. Your passport must be valid for at least six months after the end of your stay in Russia.
  • Official education document (high school or B.A. diploma) stating your school grades. Please note that it should be accompanied by a notarized translation which can be done through a Russian consulate or Ministry of Foreign Affairs in your home country.
  • Your photo. You will be asked to upload your photo while completing the online application form. You will also have to provide ITMO University with four printed photos in the 3*4 cm format when you arrive in St. Petersburg.

2. Medical documents

  • Medical certificate with HIV test taken less than 6 months ago
  • Medical certificate stating that you have no medical restrictions to study abroad
  • Vaccination certificate

Please note that to complete the application process you have to send the printed and signed application form and other documents to 49 Kronverksky Pr., St. Petersburg, 197101, Russia, Admission Office.

Check your email address submitted in the application regularly so that you don’t miss your ITMO University Acceptance Letter. It may take up to three weeks after the submission deadline to receive this email.

Pass the Entrance Tests

Foreign citizens can enroll into tuition-free and fee-based positions of ITMO University's educational programs based on their results of the Unified State Exam or ITMO University's own entrance examinations. 

Most Bachelor’s programs require passing a Russian proficiency test as well as two subject tests depending on your chosen program. You can find the information about which tests are required for each particular program, as well as their schedules and examples of tasks, on the official website of the University's Admission Office. Typical subject tests include math, physics, IT, and chemistry. You can take the tests as part of the Unified State Exam (available via Russian embassies and consulates) and provide the results to ITMO University. Alternatively, you can take the online entrance tests organized by ITMO University; you’ll just need to pick this option when completing your application form. Make sure to mail your application documents to ITMO’s Admission Office (see below) first; it is only after the Office receives the documents that you’ll become eligible for taking the online tests. Several days before the examination day you’ll be sent an email with specific instructions on how these tests will take place. 

Prospective international students have the chance to pre-qualify for Bachelor's degree programs in Math and IT by participating in ITMO University’s international entrance competitions. Winning the competition automatically qualifies you for enrollment, which means that you won’t have to go through the entrance exams when applying to ITMO.

Apply for a Student Visa

To enter the Russian Federation all international visitors are required to have the official visa stamp in their passports. Citizens of some countries do not require visa to enter the Russian Federation, but in most cases the duration of their stay in Russia is limited. Please contact the Russian consulate in your home country to check the visa requirements.

You can get a Russian student visa at a Russian embassy in your home country. ITMO University provides all successful applicants with the official Invitation Letter needed for applying for student visa. The electronic invitation will be sent to the e-mail you indicated in the application form. You will be required to print it and submit it to the Russian Consulate.

This Invitation Letter entitles you to a 90-days entry visa, which is issued by a Russian embassy or consulate in your home country. The period of your visa will be extended to cover the whole period of your Bachelor’s program after you’ve signed a study contract with ITMO University.

Please note that all international visitors to Russia are required to get a migration registration upon their arrival in Russia. ITMO student support services will guide you through this process.

Pay the Tuition Fees

Students are responsible for paying their tuition fees, airplane tickets, housing and living expenses, as well as health insurance. Tuition fees are calculated based on the cost of the chosen program and housing option, as well as the availability of grants and scholarships.

Please visit your chosen program’s webpage or contact for more information on the available grants and scholarships.

Click here to learn about other opportunities for applicants.

Get a Migration Registration

Please note that all international visitors to Russia are required to get a migration card and file for a migration registration upon their arrival in Russia.

Migration card is a document certifying international citizens’ stay in Russia. You can ask for a migration card form when boarding your flight to Russia or get it at a special information desk near the passport control.

On the day of your arrival to Russia (or the first following working day should you arrive at the weekend), you’ll need to visit ITMO University Migration Services Office (9 Lomonosova street, room 2139d) to get your migration registration.

Please bring the following documents with you:

  • Your passport
  • Your student visa
  • Your migration card with an official stamp indicating that you’ve crossed the Russian border.

All international students should also have a valid medical insurance. This can be obtained at any insurance company or through ITMO University International Students Learning and Support Center (9 Lomonosova street, room 2139b).

Get Ready for the Student Life

Welcome to ITMO University!

You know the drill: all work and no play is never a good option. We at ITMO University want to make your student experience as enjoyable and memorable as it can be. Find out about the fun ITMO students are having by following this link. There are also lots of things happening sportswise. And here’s what other international students say about their time at ITMO.

Worried about the housing? Don’t be! ITMO University offers a wide range of housing options, all conveniently located either within the limits of the university’s student town or in close proximity to St. Petersburg metro stations. Please follow this link to find out more.

Upon your arrival in Russia, you’ll get a personal International Student Advisor, who will help you feel right at home: from housing at one of the dorms to buying metro passes to finding new friends, you’ll get settled in and on your way to your great adventure. And in the meantime, check out ITMO University’s English news portal to get a feel of lots of exciting things happening in ITMO!


I signed up on and chose the dates of my exams. What now?

The sign-up on is just the first step. Before you take your exams, you must submit your paperwork to the admissions committee. This must be done before your first exam or the deadline for documents submission.

Do I have to obtain a certified translation of my paperwork in Russia or can I do that in my home country?

Certified translations can be obtained in Russia or in any foreign country.

Can I submit my paperwork over email?

Digital copies of applicants’ documents are not sufficient. You can submit the documents personally, through a delivery company, or with a trusted associate on the condition that they have a signed power-of-attorney letter.

Do I need to obtain a certified copy of an educational certificate if it is available in two languages, one being Russian?

If all the information in your certificate is provided in Russian, you do not need to obtain a certified translation or a copy. A regular copy will be sufficient.

If I, as a foreign national, have taken the Unified State Exam (USE) but was not satisfied with my results, can I still take the entrance exam at ITMO?

Yes, international applicants can choose to take entrance exams in one or several subjects when applying to ITMO even if they have already taken the relevant USE. Please note the following: if you have signed up to take an entrance exam, your USE results for the corresponding subject will no longer be valid at our university. Approach this decision carefully!

The entrance exams are split into three groups. Can I take an exam three times?

No. The entrance exams are held three times each to accommodate the applicants’ differing travel plans and other circumstances. Applicants get to choose the date of each exam, but each exam can only be taken once.

Are there any specific requirements for foreign nationals taking the entrance exams?

There are no specific requirements for foreign nationals taking the entrance exams. It is only mandatory that you bring your passport and a document confirming you have supplied your paperwork. You are also allowed to bring a pen, pencil and ruler. The tasks do not require the use of a calculator, so you cannot bring or use a calculator.

How long do the exams take?

With the exception of Computer Science, all the exams last 1.5 hours. The Computer Science exam lasts 2 hours.

Is there a way to take the exam in my own country?

We do not carry out exams or tests abroad. However, there are various international entrance competitions held fully online. You can read more about them here.

How can I take my exams remotely?

After the admissions committee has received an applicant’s paperwork, their personal case becomes open. The applicant is then eligible to take part in remote entrance exams. Several days prior to the exam, the applicant should receive an email containing instructions for taking the exams and other important information.

Do foreign citizens have the right to apply for tuition-free positions?

Citizens of Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan, as well as compatriots residing in the CIS countries can apply to tuition-free positions along with Russian citizens. Citizens of other countries can only apply for fee-based or government quota positions.

How can I confirm my status of a compatriot?

When submitting your paperwork, fill in a request form and provide documents proving that your ancestral relatives were citizens of the USSR (Your birth certificate with a translation, passport with a translation and a birth certificate of one of the USSR-born relatives). If the relative has had a change of surname, you must also provide a document to prove that (a translated copy of a marriage certificate).

What is the minimum required score for enrolling in a tuition-free position?

The higher your score total from entrance exams and personal achievements, the higher are your chances of enrolling in a tuition-free position. The minimum score for applying is 60 points in each subject. The minimum scores for previous years can be found on each educational program’s page at

How many programs can I apply to?

In your application, you can apply for 3 tuition-free positions and 1 fee-based position.

Can I stay at the dorms during my entrance exams?

Yes. International students can temporarily stay at ITMO University’s dorms if they have provided the original copy of their educational certificate and received a relevant document from ITMO University’s medical station (a recent chest X-ray is required).

Are international students provided accommodation in the dorms?

All foreign citizens are provided accommodation in the dorms as required. You can read more about our dorms here.

Still got questions?