International Mobility for PhD Students
PhD students interested in traveling abroad to a scientific conference to present a report or do a research internship up to 1 month in length at a foreign university are welcome to take part in a competition for partial funding from ITMO University.
Another mandatory requirement for partial funding is that within a year after the event’s end date the applicant makes a publication in a journal indexed by Web of Science or Scopus with an SJR no less than 50% of the requirements set for international scientific units (50% SJR - 0.45 as of 2018).
ITMO University will remunerate no more than 70% of all travel expenses and only up to 50,000 rubles.
The competition is open throughout the year; applications must be submitted at least a month before the planned date of departure.
How to apply for the partial funding competition
- An application form, including a cost estimate. If the PhD student is a staff member of ITMO University, the application must be also be signed by their immediate superior.
- An invitation that must contain:
- the student’s full name;
- ITMO University’s title in English;
- the dates of the event;
- purpose of participation;
- if participating in a conference: a confirmation of the report’s status and its title
- The conference program.
- A written obligation to publish, within a year (after participation in the event), an article in a journal indexed by Web of Science or Scopus with an SJR no less than 50% of the requirements set for international scientific units (50% SJR - 0.45 as of 2018).
- An English language proficiency certificate with a level B2 or higher (IELTS or TOEFL, if available). If the applicant does not possess a certificate, they can sign up for free testing here. The test is carried out by ITMO University’s Foreign Language Training Center at Lomonosova St. 9, room 2139. If the event is held in another foreign language, applicants must sign up for testing by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If the applicant has previously received funding from ITMO University for the purpose of participating in conferences or other events, a written report must be submitted, describing the results achieved from this participation (publications, exit data, indexing in databases and the impact factor, scans of publications).
The completed set of paperwork must be sent by email to email@example.com. An original copy of the application with all the required signatures must be brought to the Academic Mobility Support Office at Lomonosova St. 9, room 2139c, tel. 572-21-54.
The competition committee may require other materials in their consideration, in which case the applicant will be notified by email using the address given in the application.
Afterwards, the competition committee makes a decision on the matter of financial support for the planned trip within 5 business days after receiving the final version of the application.
Applicants will be informed of the committee’s decision by email using the address given in their application.
IF THE COMMITTEE HAS APPROVED THE APPLICATION, PREPARE THE FOLLOWING PAPERWORK:
- An expert assessment from the Office of Intellectual Property and Scientific Information (Kronverksky Av. 49, room 472, tel. 232-41-56, Lyudmila Kazar).
- An identification examination report from the Office of External Economic Relations and Exports Control (Kronverksky Av. 49, room 283, tel. 232-30-18, Sergey Lukin). The form can be found at oven.faculty.ifmo.ru (in Russian).
Both of the above documents, along with the text of your report, must be submitted to the Office of External Economic Relations and Exports Control.
- The Academic Mobility Support Office will prepare the PhD student’s travel paperwork and send it by email to the address given in the application. Printed copies of the documents can be picked up at the Academic Mobility Support Office (Lomonosova St. 9, room 2139c, tel. 572-21-54).
- The student must provide their own signature and the signatures of their head of the department, head of the Office of International Postgraduate and Doctoral studies. If the PhD student is a staff member of ITMO University, the application must be also be signed by the head of their structural unit. The paperwork must then be submitted to the Academic Mobility Support Office.
The Academic Mobility Support Office finalizes the travel paperwork, the final step being a Rector’s Order approving the student’s trip. A notice regarding the Rector’s Order is sent to the email address provided in the application.
FOLLOWING THEIR TRIP, the student must provide a set of documents to the accounting office within three business days. A complete list of the required documents can be downloaded here (in Russian).
*Please note that all the submitted documents should be in Russain.
All questions regarding academic exchanges lasting longer than one month should be adressed to the PhD Office.